Woofs and Books Adoption Application
Helping animals and children through reading.
1. Type of pet you wish to adopt:
2. Name of specific pet you wish to adopt (if known):
3. Describe in detail why you wish to adopt the pet(s):
5. Do you currently have any other pets?
Sign in to our Guest Book and feel free to leave a comment and your contact information.
4. Will this be your first pet?
4(a). If you answered "no" to the above, what types of pets have you had previously, and how long did they live?
6. What other animals do you currently have? (include breed, age, and gender)
7. Have your other pets been spayed or neutered?
8. Are your other pets currrent on vaccinations?
9. Do you provide heartworm preventative and/or flea medication to your other pets?
10. Do your other pets live inside, outside, or split their time between these two options? Where do they live while inside/outside?
11. Will your other pets adjust to having a new pet enter the household? If not, how will you work to remedy the conflict?
12. How many adults and children are in your family? Please provide the ages of any children.
13. Do you anticipate expanding or adding to your household in the future? (Other pets, adult family members moving in with you, adopting/having children, taking on renters, etc.) If yes, please explain.
14. Do any members of your family have animal allergies?
15. Are ALL members of the family in agreement on adopting this pet? If no, please explain.
16. Is your home pet-proofed? (i.e. electric cords covered, no chemicals on floors, plants poisonous to pets have been removed from pet’s living and play areas, etc.) If no, explain steps you will need to take to make your home pet-friendly.
17. Will someone be home with the pet(s) during the day?.
17(a). If you answered “No” to Question 17, how many hours a day will the pet(s) be alone?
18. How much time are you willing to spend with your pet(s)?
19. What living arrangements do you plan for your pet(s)? (i.e. indoors, outdoors, kennel during the day, dog run, etc.)
20. If you plan to keep your pet(s) in a kennel or cage, how much time will they be allowed to run around/exercise daily? Are you knowledgeable on how to crate train a dog?
21. Do you currently have a veterinarian? If so, do they have expertise in the type of animal(s) you plan to adopt?
21(a). Do you give Woofs and Books permission to contact your veterinarian? Please provide the name and number of your veterinarian.
22. Are you willing and able to pay the veterinary costs of caring for your new pet(s)?.
23. Are you willing to take the time to work with the pet(s) on housebreaking or chewing, if such problems arise?
24. Do you understand that it may take several weeks or longer for your new pet(s) to adjust to its new life in your home, and that accidents and issues may arise?
24(a). If these problems do arise, how do you plan to handle the situation?
25. If you move, will you take the pet(s) with you?
26. Are you willing and able to care for the pet and take responsibility for it for the rest of its life?
27. Have you applied to adopt an animal in the past? If so, when?
28. Have you given up a pet or pets in the past? If yes, please explain.
****Dog Only Section - If you are not adopting a dog, skip to Question 31****
29. Do you understand that certain do breeds bark a lot, and that trying to teach them not to bark may go against the dog's basic instinct?
29(a). Are you prepared to tolerate a lot of barking?
29(b). Do you reside in a location where barking is tolerated?
30. Do you have a fully fenced backyard? Describe the height of the fence, area of the yard/enclosure, and material and construction of the fence.
31. Do you rent or own your home? If you rent, please provide the name and number of your landlord so Woofs and Books can verify that pets are allowed.
****End Dog Only Section ****
32. A home inspection may be required. Are you willing to allow a Woofs and Books representative to visit your home?
33. Describe the activity level in your home:
34. Under what circumstances would you return the pet(s)?
35. What provisions will you make for your pet(s) should you become unable to care for it?
Please provide us with two (2) personal references: